What’s coming up?
- Today, Friday, September 28th – School wide Terry Fox Walk/Run at 10:30am
- Today, Friday, September 28th – Orange Shirt Day at Gledhill . To learn more, see our blog post
- Wednesday, October 3rd – Cross Country Meet at Ashbridges Bay – GO GLEDHILL!
- October 1-4 – Grade 5s to Island School
- October 4th – Deadline for PIZZA LUNCH orders. They can be placed online at sagoto.com/gsc/pizza OR by printing off a form HERE and returning it to the office with payment
- October 5th – PA Day
Highlights from this morning’s announcements:
- Today is Orange Shirt Day – “Phyllis Webstad, a member of the Stswedem’c Xgat’tem First Nation in British Columbia, was forced to attend St. Joseph’s Mission Residential School, as her relatives had been before her. She entered the school in 1973 wearing a brand new orange shirt which was immediately confiscated by the staff and replaced with a uniform. She never saw the shirt again, and began to associate the colour with the traumatic experiences in the school and the loss of language and cultural identity she suffered.
In 2013, Webstad transformed her negative experiences into something positive by creating a Nationally recognized Orange Shirt Day. Celebrated annually, this day acknowledges the residential school system in Canada, honours those who survived, and remembers those who did not. It is a day to demonstrate, by wearing orange, that all students matter.”
- Did you know that Sunday, September 30th s World Rivers Day? It’s a day when many people around the world celebrate the importance of rivers for providing clean drinking water and healthy fish as a source of food for countless humans and animals around the globe. Water is always moving through a cycle and what others do to water upstream from us can affect us downstream in positive and negative ways. Maybe this weekend you can take part in a Shoreline Clean Up or find other ways to have a helpful impact on Taylor Creek, the Don River or Lake Ontario! Thanks for helping us take care of our beautiful planet! From the Eco Team.
- Today is our Terry Fox Walk. Please meet in the gym immediately after morning recess to get things pumped up for the walk. Come see if Mrs Bailey turned her hair purple! Pledge forms and donations can be given to the office.
- Monday at 11:30 the Uschool Ukulele classes begin for grade 4 and 5
You must be logged in to post a comment.