What’s coming up?
- November 2019 – Indigenous Education Month at the TDSB
- Monday November 4th – Friday November 8th – Treaties Recognition Week
- **ENDS TOMORROW – Tuesday November 5th– “Scare away hunger food drive”– Gledhill classrooms are collecting food to donate to the Daily Bread Food Bank to help support families in our communities. Please bring non perishable items to the boxes in your classrooms!
- TOMORROW – Tuesday November 5th- Picture retake day
- Monday November 11th – 1030am- Remembrance Day Assembly in the gymnasium- All are welcome to attend
- Thursday November 14th from 330-6pm- Special Family Event- Scholastic Book Fair. Volunteers needed from 330-6pm http://bit.ly/scholastic18
- Thursday November 14th – Thursday Nov 21st – Scholastic Book Fair in the school library. Volunteers needed from 830-1140am http://bit.ly/scholastic18
- Friday November 15th – Last day to buy Marlies tickets
- Friday November 15th – PA DAY
- Thursday November 21st 6-730pm- Parent Council Mtg in school library. All are welcome. Child care and pizza will be provided
- Friday November 22nd – Movie Night at Gledhill in the gym- film info to follow
- Saturday November 30th @ 130pm – Marlies Game at Scotiabank arena.
Highlights from today’s announcements:
- Good morning! Please stand for the Land Acknowledgement and our National Anthem.
- We acknowledge we are hosted on the lands of the Mississaugas of the Anishinaabe , the Haudenosaunee Confederacy and the Wendat. We also recognize the enduring presence of all First Nations, Metis and Inuit Peoples.
- O Canada
- Please be seated. Make sure you are listening to anything that is relevant to you.
- Today is Monday November 4th and it is Day 3 in our schedule. Our character theme for November is Empathy and here is something to think about. “Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it it the only thing that ever has. – Margaret Mead
- The Scare Away Hunger food drive has been extended until tomorrow- Tuesday November 5th.
- Attention students helping out in the Remembrance Day Assembly, please meet in room 30 at lunch. Thank you.
- Teachers- tomorrow is picture retake day in the afternoon. If you have a student who is having a retake, please send the name of the student to the office in the morning. Thank you.
- There will be a Kindie Helper meeting during 1st recess in the lunchroom. All Kindie Helpers must attend. Any students in grades 4 or 5 who would like to be a Kindie helper may also attend this meeting.
- Announcement from Ms. Bambrick- In November, we celebrate Indigenous Education Month at the TDSB. This month provides an opportunity to re-examine how Indigenous perspectives, histories and contemporary realities may be centred across the curricula, and to focus on treaties and the legacy of residential schools.
- Treaties Recognition Week in Ontario – November 4-8, 2019. At the TDSB, we will celebrate the inaugural Treaties Recognition Week in Ontario. It is a time for everyone in Ontario to recognize the treaties that shape our province and bring awareness to treaty rights and treaty relationships.
- First Nations were the original occupants of this Land we call Ontario. The British Crown(government) and First Nations negotiated and signed treaties with the intent delivering mutual benefits. First Nations signed as independent, self-governing nations. Did you know that many treaties with First Nations People were signed more than a century ago? These treaty commitments are just as valid today as they were then. Ontario is covered by 46 treaties and other agreements.
Note: These announcements are typed up daily and posted by a parent volunteer on the Gledhill School Council’s Communications Committee. Edits or omissions are made occasionally to protect the privacy of student identities. Some days part of the announcements are read by the students in French. For the purposes of these posts, announcements will be in English
You must be logged in to post a comment.