Attendance: 11 parents (quorum formed), Principal McAleese, Vice Principal Curry, Mme. Bey
Meeting Discussion and Decisions
Approval of previous meeting minutes – October and December, 2016 (APPROVED).
- Marlies event:
- Thank you to organizers and everyone who attended – we sold over 500 tickets!
- There will be a free Marlies rally in the gym at Gledhill on Fri. Mar. 10 (earth hour will be shifted slightly to accommodate).
- We are looking for potential dates for potluck and/or Trivia Night (we may have one of the two events).
- The Dance-a-thon is scheduled for April 21st – we will need an event co-lead to transition this year and lead it next year.
- The next movie night is being scheduled for the spring – the date is being confirmed.
- Selling pizza and treats before the Winter concert was a success and many families participated!
- Skate day is scheduled for Thurs. Mar. 9 at Ted Reeve ice rink for students in grades 1-6 (details and timing are being confirmed) – we will need volunteers to assist.
- At the last Ward meeting, other schools gave ideas for fundraising events (i.e., ask for parent donations at beginning of year instead of at fundraising events; raffle for seats at front of concerts; 80s theme dance party for parents).
- We should do the annual review of our Council bylaws; will connect with Governance Chair.
Main Agenda Items
Principal’s and Vice Principal’s updates:
- For safety and security reasons, parents are asked not to take and post pictures and videos during school events and post on social media (the school may take videos to share moving forward).
- Gledhill is participating in Jumprope for Heart this year (date pending).
- The school would like to sell Gledhill 100th anniversary t-shirts this spring and during Family Fest as a fundraising activity.
- Council was provided extra copies of TDSB purchasing and fundraising guidelines.
- There were parent concerns that Black History Month was not mentioned in the school newsletter for February; it was noted that there are numerous Black History Month activities happening throughout the classrooms and within the school and there are many different days of significance recognized by the TDSB; it is difficult to mention some and not others.
- The Grade 5s and 6s went to Island School this year; typically they would not go again for two years, but they have requested an exception for the Grade 5s to go next year because that will be the first year Grade 5s will graduate from Gledhill.
- From the Council – thank you to the school administration and staff for an excellent Winter concert – it was an amazing event!
Motion for Council to contribute up to $1,250 towards Choir bowties to be used for school events (APPROVED).
Motion for Council to contribute $500 towards school graduation expenses each year to go towards expenses such as food and cake, decorations, awards, graduation photos (APPROVED).
Discussed Council providing funds to classes who invest time in social responsibility (e.g., match classroom fundraising activities); decided to discuss further next year.
A parent suggested other parents partake in ‘make a wish’ as part of the BMO200 initiative; it was suggested that Gledhill parents could all make a wish for something like a ‘memorial playground’ to celebrate the school’s 100th anniversary; communications to post on the blog with additional detail.
Next Council meeting is Tuesday March 28, 6:00pm to 7:30pm; all parents and guardians are welcome to attend and are all considered members of the Council.
Thank you to all parents and guardians who support our great school!
- Pizza lunch – Fri. Mar. 31st
- Skate day – Thurs. Mar. 9th
- Marlies rally at Gledhill – Fri. Mar. 10th
- Movie night – date TBC
Agenda Items for Next Meeting
- Dates for Potluck and Trivia Night (TBC)
- Annual review of Council bylaws
- Update – BMO200 make a wish blog communication