The School Council has been investigating the lack of a morning crossing guard at Gledhill and Danforth. What we understand so far:
- The job of hiring crossing guards is still the job of the Toronto Police Services
- When vacancies occur due to illness or low numbers of available crossing guards, the City of Toronto, along with the TPS has contracted a third party company Neptune Services to fill in the vacancies. (in the past, uniformed police officers would do it, this is no longer the case)
- A request has been made by TPS to Neptune to fill the vacancy at Gledhill and Danforth.
- Low numbers of crossing guards are an issue
- The police officer in charge of hiring new crossing guards is Sgt Bider 416-808-5433. One of our council chairs spoke to him this morning and he informed her that an additional request will be now placed to fill that spot.
- Both Janet Davis’s and Mary Margaret McMahon’s offices have also been contacted
We will update as new details become available.