Check out the below School Council meeting minutes for useful information about the Council and school!
Meeting Date: Thursday March 30, 2017
Attendance: 14 parents (Quorum formed), Principal McAleese, Vice Principal Curry, Mme. Bey, and Ms. Ahmad
Meeting Discussion and Decisions
Approval of previous meeting minutes – February 23, 2016 (APPROVED)
- Family Fest is scheduled for Friday June 16; we will need many volunteers to make the day a success!
- Dance-A-Thon – we will need someone new to organize next year’s event (it is a key fundraising event for our school!)
Ward Rep updates:
- At the last Ward meeting:
- Examples of fundraising events held at other schools were provided; ideas and information was shared with the Council and Fundraising Chairs
- An update was given about research done to assess young children’s ability to meet age-appropriate developmental expectations at school entry; this update will continue at the next Ward meeting (note that all parents are invited and welcome to attend these meetings)
Main Agenda Items
Principal’s and Vice Principal’s updates and discussion:
- The school is currently working with the Board (TDSB) to determine number of students, classes, and staff allocations for next year; it is anticipated that there will be two additional classes next year
- Next year there will be a double graduation with the Grade 6’s and Grade 5’s both graduating to DA Morrison
- Need to determine how to spend remaining Pro Grant funding; suggestion to focus on Mindfulness session (other ideas were also provided; e.g., yoga, managing anxiety, etc.)
- Investigating expansion of new yoga program for next year
- Birchmount Track and Field day is May 4th
- The school is registered to participate in Jump Rope for Heart; date TBC
Next Council meeting is Wednesday April 26, 6:00pm to 7:30pm.
- Pizza Lunch – May 12
- Movie Night – June 2
- Next Council meeting – Tuesday June 6
- Family Fest – Friday June 16